Friday, March 27, 2009

Downtown St. Pete


I am finding myself becoming increasingly fond of my school, the University of South Florida, which is located just on the outskirts of downtown Saint Petersburg, Florida. The only problem that I noticed nearly right away is the lack of "normal" fast-food restaurants. I was amazed at the number of bars within the downtown area along with the specialty and independent restaurants. One will have no problem getting a beer or any other spirit drink. One will not have a problem getting a one of a kind dish at one of the many restaurants. But when it comes to wanting a regular, good old cheeseburger from a place like McDonalds's, all luck has one out. What makes matters worse is how these shops and restaurants that do serve burgers and fries are not cheap. Even "The Tavern" which is located on the USF-St Pete campus charges $5 and up for a fulfilling meal. I have to hang it to the good people at "The Tavern" though, the food is good. I bought a chili dog with cheese one day because I was craving for one. I must admit that when the server brought it to my table I was shocked. I immediately thought to myself, "This is no chili dog!" Yes, the hot dog was HUGE, but it was served "gourmet style. The way it was put together was on a slice of bread that prohibited the picking up of this already behemoth of a chili dog. The cheese was shredded shrivels of cheese which added little to the taste and added to the mess. But, let me tell you, that was one good chili dog; despite that real actual chili was used.


Back to the problem at hand. Not being able to get a ordinary AMERICAN cheeseburger. This problem makes me miss the city of Detroit with there being a Coney Island restaurant on just about every corner. At a Coney Island restaurant, you could get a nice sized cheeseburger for $3 and a loose burger (chili dog minus the dog) for 99 cents. IF I had the money to do so, I would invest in buying a franchise of a Coney Island and open it up in the Tampa Bay tri-city area. I am pretty sure that I would make a killer in profits.

No comments:

Post a Comment